Wednesday, October 19, 2005

A Night At The Musical


One of the many things ACU does very well is musical theater, and we saw Seussical! Saturday night. My wife somehow managed to score us front-row seats, and I have to believe that while she and I would have loved to see Aida, the kids (especially middle daughter, who exhibits early diva traits) really got into Seussical!.

The picture above is of a scene in Act Two where The Cat In The Hat came into the audiance with a baby doll, seeking comfort from an audiance member sitting right beside my three year-old. He handed the doll to her and continued with his shtick, sitting on the lap of the woman next to Ellie and hugging her while answering a cell phone call.

The picture, from a marginal camera phone (Motorola MPx220) is the result of Ellie's innate comic timing, briefly stopping the show while she laughed out loud at The Cat. Of course, when asked about it later she said, "It made me berry angry!", I guess three year-old want attention but only on their terms.

From what I read, Lara Siebert was the actress finally chosen to play the title role in 'Aida', and while all of the cast was great, Lara's Gertude McFuzz owned the show. My daughters have tailfeathers of Gertrude's that fell off the stage as keepsakes, maybe when Lara is rich and famous we can get them autographed or something.

I would have liked to see her play Aida. It would have saved me a couple thousand dollars and a trip to New York -- anything ACU's Musical Theater department does is that good. I hope they can do Spamalot next year, but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucas Hendrickson said...

Spamalot...?

Do you really think the landed gentry of Taylor County will buy into the Pythonian humor of Spamalot? I'm thinking not...

lwh.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Darren Duvall said...

Lucas,

I think you meant to mention 'Spamalot'. Stinkin' HTML...

I think people will come out for nearly anything ACU does. It's not as if there's fierce competition in the live theater community in Taylor County.

Heck, some of them would probably think it was about meat, and show up just for that.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home