Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Who ARE those guys?

Taking a clue from Bill Hobbs (and any blogger who gets linked from Instapundit as often as Bill can give me a clue any time he wants), I'm trying to accumulate as many ACU-X bloggers as I can in the links section.

I love Chris like a brother, had Garrett and Mike Lavender in my house for a recruiting visit, labored long into the night at the Optimist with Bill and Ken (from the Flying Pi Ranch), was on SA with Brad, was in club with Val, went on a date with Stephanie (capped off with a speeding ticket, no less -- I was SMOOOV wif da' ladies at ACU, y'all), got married on the same day as Grant, knew Josh's older sister Kelly (could be a cousin, but how many Stites can there be in Cookeville?), I have pretty much every ZOE CD available on the website (still looking for bootlegs, heh!) and was on SA with Brandon Scott back in the day. And if the other folks think Corey is cool, then he's probably cooler than me.

The 'Six Degrees Of Separation' concept drops to about two degrees if you're an ACU-X, it seems.

I don't know if Mike Cope is an ACU-X, but I heard a number of sermons from him during his first few months at Highland, and he has had a great deal of influence on ACU students. My blog will only be improved by linking to his in any event, and even though my writing will no doubt suffer by the comparison I'll swallow my pride and post the link.

If you're an ACU-X and blog, I want to know about it. Drop me an email or leave a comment and you'll be on the list.

6 Comments:

Blogger SG said...

I totally forgot all about that ticket! More than that date I remember us as being the best of friends my sophomore year at ACU. When I think of you I remember...(in no particular order) SA meetings and office hours, hanging out with you and that guy I dated, going with you to your first funeral, your U2 SA president poster, the election that wasn't(you were so robbed!), the Christmas Social when Jennifer$ and I became impromptu back-up Elvis singers, New Years in Times Square FREEZING, your station wagon, a long boat ride in NJ summer heat, making chocolate chip cookies for a diabetic, your first date with Marci, my last date with that guy, your wedding, lots of laughter...great memories.
It's great to reconnect with you. I have no doubt that your admiration for our alma mater will be of great benefit to it and us all. And by the way Dr. Duvall... I might send ACU a few bucks if you promise to get a Mohawk and lead "Oh dear Christian College" while wearing an Elvis suit during Homecoming Chapel! What do you say? :)

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing where this blog goes in terms of topics, but just to briefly get back to the original post..."16 Percent.."

I think all those in young family mode can relate to the "just too much going on" sentiment. I'm sure all of the stats that ACU has on trends and things would show that indeed those in our demographic frequent the campus much less during these years.

However, what I think is the alarming issue and what Darren was originally alluding to is the financially supporting issue...16% of our class.

Young families have always had less disposable income than other groups, but my understanding is that the financial support that is coming from our group (16%) as well as from other 80s and 90s classes is quite a bit lower historically from the young family demographic, and the overall support (total sum) they are receiving is not anywhere close to the past.

I would like to hear what has gone through people's minds when they made the decision not to give. I can appreciate and relate to Becky Clinton's sentiment (btw hey Becky and Kevin). Is that what most are feeling?

9:55 AM  
Blogger Darren Duvall said...

Mark,

I made a main entry for this point. Thanks for bringing it up.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Darren - we don't know each other at all, but I regularly read SG's blog and linked over to yours from hers. Since, you asked, I'm an ACU grad also (class of '98).

4:45 PM  
Blogger Michael Potthoff said...

I am an ACU ex. I found your blog through a search on blogspot. Thanks for what you are doing for ACU! I love that place!

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darren,
Hey this is Dave Calvin. I dont have a blogspot but do use livejournal. Most are locked behind friends only posts and I love your posts here.
BT

http://dayesleeper.livejournal.com/

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home